Skip to main content

Dozens killed after gunmen attack Kabul ceremony

The Taliban denied responsibility for the attack on the gathering marking the anniversary of the death of Abdul Ali Mazari, an ethnic Hazara leader who was killed by Taliban fighters in 1995 after being taken prisoner [Anadolu]
The Taliban denied responsibility for the attack on the gathering marking the anniversary of the death of Abdul Ali Mazari, an ethnic Hazara leader who was killed by Taliban fighters in 1995 after being taken prisoner [Anadolu]

The death toll in an attack on a Kabul ceremony marking the anniversary of a slain minority leader has risen to 27, a ministry of health spokesman said on Friday.
"Twenty-seven bodies and 29 wounded transported by ... ambulance so far," Wahidullah Mayar, the health ministry spokesman, told Reuters, adding that the number could increase.
Gunmen attacked the ceremony in the Afghan capital where a top Afghan political leader, Abdullah Abdullah, was present but escaped unharmed.
"The attack started with a boom, apparently a rocket landed in the area, Abdullah and some other politicians ... escaped the attack unhurt," Fraidoon Kwazoon, Abdullah's spokesman, was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency.
President Ashraf Ghani condemned the attack and called it "a crime against humanity".
Broadcaster Tolo News showed live footage of people running for cover as gunfire was heard.
The Taliban denied responsibility for the attack on the gathering marking the anniversary of the death of Abdul Ali Mazari, an ethnic Hazara leader who was killed in 1995 after being taken prisoner by armed Taliban fighters.
The incident comes less than a week after the United States and the Taliban signed a deal that would pave the way for the complete withdrawal of foreign troops in 14 months.
However, fighting has continued to rage across the country, casting a pall over hopes that the agreement would lead to a reduction in violence.
Afghanistan Kabul map
Several people were killed in a similar attack on the same commemoration last year. The ISIL (ISIS) group claimed responsibility for that attack.
Hazaras are mostly Shia Muslims who have been repeatedly attacked in Afghanistan.











































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prince Charles, 71, tests positive for coronavirus: Palace

Britain’s Prince Charles, the eldest son and heir to Queen Elizabeth II, is showing mild symptoms of the new coronavirus but “otherwise remains in good health”, his office said on Wednesday. The 71-year-old and his wife Camilla — who does not have COVID-19 — are currently self-isolating in Scotland, Clarence House said. “The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus,” it said in a statement, using his official title. “He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual. “The Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla) has also been tested but does not have the virus. “In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.” The couple were tested by the state-run National Health Service (NHS) in Aberdeenshire in northeast Scotland, it said. “It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to...

‘Today we have seen the dawn’: China reports zero new local coronavirus cases for first time since outbreak began

Chinese officials say they have “seen the dawn” of an end to the  coronavirus  epidemic, after the country reported zero new cases of local infection for the first time since the outbreak began. Figures for Wednesday showed there were no new cases at all in Wuhan or the wider Hubei province, where the virus now known as  Covid-19  is believed to have first transmitted among humans. Authorities warned the risk was still not over, though, as 34 cases - all imported from abroad - were reported in other provinces. They included 21 in  Beijing  and nine in the southern manufacturing hub of Guangdong. There were also eight new deaths on Wednesday, according to the National Health Commission. bringing the country to a total of 80,928 cases and 3,245 deaths. Nonetheless, the lack of new local transmissions in Hubei was hailed as a major landmark in the global fight to contain the disease. “Today we have seen the dawn after so many days o...

Hairdresser creates a barrier between her clients by cutting arm and eye holes in an UMBRELLA, as she attempts to continue working during the coronavirus pandemic

A hairdresser who has continued working during the  coronavirus  pandemic has gone viral for wearing an umbrella to separate herself from clients. The Dutch stylist who works at Bella Rosa salon in Oss, north of Eindhoven, Holland, created a makeshift shield from an umbrella in a bizarre attempt to help stop the spread of COVID-19. She cut two holes for her arms to go through and cut a client's hair using disposable gloves. The hairdresser completed her homemade protective wear by adding holes to the umbrella to see out of.  Countries across Europe have shot down hair and beauty salons, and there is no evidence that the    The clip has gone viral across social media, racking up over 82,000 shares on Facebook alone. In one clip, she included the caption: 'This is not going well' Laughing can be heard in the background. She then had to cut a third hole to thread another customer's eyebrows. The woman carried out the treatment b...