Skip to main content

National Park Service to waive entrance fees at open parks to aid social distancing



Secretary of the Interior David Bernhardt has directed the National Park Service to the waive entrance fees at all national parks that remain open during the coronavirus pandemic in an effort to aid public social distancing.
"This small step makes it a little easier for the American public to enjoy the outdoors in our incredible National Parks," Bernhardt said in a news release Wednesday.
"Our vast public lands that are overseen by the Department offer special outdoor experiences to recreate, embrace nature and implement some social distancing."
    The step comes as more than 7,500 people have been infected by the virus in the US, and at least 125 have died. In response, states are ordering new shutdowns and restrictions every day and public health officials are encouraging the public to stay home and practice social distancing to contain the spread of the virus.
    Still, while the National Park Service has temporarily closed some parks, the vast majority remain fully or partially open -- though "many facilities will be closed."
    In an open letter released earlier this month, an organization representing National Park Service retirees called on the agency to introduce broader closures to protect the staff and the public.
      Chair Phil Francis of The Coalition to Protect America's Parks argues that "to suggest to the public that gathering at national park sites is acceptable ... is irresponsible to the visiting public and employees."
      "National parks welcome visitors from around the world," Francis writes. "Many National Park Service employees interact with members of the public daily."



















































      Comments

      Popular posts from this blog

      Prince Charles, 71, tests positive for coronavirus: Palace

      Britain’s Prince Charles, the eldest son and heir to Queen Elizabeth II, is showing mild symptoms of the new coronavirus but “otherwise remains in good health”, his office said on Wednesday. The 71-year-old and his wife Camilla — who does not have COVID-19 — are currently self-isolating in Scotland, Clarence House said. “The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus,” it said in a statement, using his official title. “He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual. “The Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla) has also been tested but does not have the virus. “In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.” The couple were tested by the state-run National Health Service (NHS) in Aberdeenshire in northeast Scotland, it said. “It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to...

      ‘Today we have seen the dawn’: China reports zero new local coronavirus cases for first time since outbreak began

      Chinese officials say they have “seen the dawn” of an end to the  coronavirus  epidemic, after the country reported zero new cases of local infection for the first time since the outbreak began. Figures for Wednesday showed there were no new cases at all in Wuhan or the wider Hubei province, where the virus now known as  Covid-19  is believed to have first transmitted among humans. Authorities warned the risk was still not over, though, as 34 cases - all imported from abroad - were reported in other provinces. They included 21 in  Beijing  and nine in the southern manufacturing hub of Guangdong. There were also eight new deaths on Wednesday, according to the National Health Commission. bringing the country to a total of 80,928 cases and 3,245 deaths. Nonetheless, the lack of new local transmissions in Hubei was hailed as a major landmark in the global fight to contain the disease. “Today we have seen the dawn after so many days o...

      Hairdresser creates a barrier between her clients by cutting arm and eye holes in an UMBRELLA, as she attempts to continue working during the coronavirus pandemic

      A hairdresser who has continued working during the  coronavirus  pandemic has gone viral for wearing an umbrella to separate herself from clients. The Dutch stylist who works at Bella Rosa salon in Oss, north of Eindhoven, Holland, created a makeshift shield from an umbrella in a bizarre attempt to help stop the spread of COVID-19. She cut two holes for her arms to go through and cut a client's hair using disposable gloves. The hairdresser completed her homemade protective wear by adding holes to the umbrella to see out of.  Countries across Europe have shot down hair and beauty salons, and there is no evidence that the    The clip has gone viral across social media, racking up over 82,000 shares on Facebook alone. In one clip, she included the caption: 'This is not going well' Laughing can be heard in the background. She then had to cut a third hole to thread another customer's eyebrows. The woman carried out the treatment b...