Skip to main content

Where it all went wrong for sacked Dennis Itumbi




Denis Itumbi’s reign at State House has officially come to an end. A bit late, some observers would think.
On Wednesday, the government released a statement informing Kenyans that it had scrapped his position of senior digital director and those of four others.
But for someone so close to the presidency and a reported personal friend of President Uhuru Kenyatta, what just went wrong?
1. Dalliance with DP William Ruto – During the 2017 general elections, Itumbi, for some reason, aligned himself with Deputy President William Ruto. At the time, he was spotted accompanying the DP to most international media interviews. This bromance grew and Itumbi ‘replaced’ coverage of President Kenyatta’s activities on his popular social media pages with that of Dr Ruto. It was a decision that has proved costly considering the political fallout between the two leaders. The DP has himself complained of some elements within the government out to stop him.
2. Attacking government officials – This was a weird decision. For some reason, Itumbi, employed by State House, took to consistently attacking Interior CS Fred Matiang’i and his PS Karanja Kibicho on social media. He didn’t stop there. He took on the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) accusing him of being unprofessional. For all intents and purposes Itumbi’s actions displayed a serious disconnect within government circles.
3. Brush with authorities – Things got worse. Last year, Itumbi was arrested and charged with falsifying a document. He’s also consistently claimed that a group of high ranking government officials were planning to assassinate the Deputy President. True or not, this is not the job description of a State House employee. Worse, he was recently teargassed at a Police Station in Nairobi at night when he accompanied a group of MPs to demand the release of detained Moses Kuria. He then referred to the Police as thugs.
4. Coronavirus statement – Itumbi was recently quoted by a local media house suggesting that the government had enough masks to offer Kenyans to protect themselves from coronavirus. It was a telling statement considering he isn’t a Ministry of Health official. The factuality of the statement has also been contested leading to reports he misrepresented a government position on a sensitive matter.
5. Blogging – The government should take some blame for how this matter has panned out. Itumbi is a blogger, and appears to be at his best blogging and rebutting ‘facts’ on social media other than creating policy. Whoever offered him the role to represent and protect government interests on social media appears to have set the poor boy up for failure.

















































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prince Charles, 71, tests positive for coronavirus: Palace

Britain’s Prince Charles, the eldest son and heir to Queen Elizabeth II, is showing mild symptoms of the new coronavirus but “otherwise remains in good health”, his office said on Wednesday. The 71-year-old and his wife Camilla — who does not have COVID-19 — are currently self-isolating in Scotland, Clarence House said. “The Prince of Wales has tested positive for Coronavirus,” it said in a statement, using his official title. “He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual. “The Duchess of Cornwall (Camilla) has also been tested but does not have the virus. “In accordance with government and medical advice, the prince and the duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland.” The couple were tested by the state-run National Health Service (NHS) in Aberdeenshire in northeast Scotland, it said. “It is not possible to ascertain from whom the prince caught the virus owing to...

‘Today we have seen the dawn’: China reports zero new local coronavirus cases for first time since outbreak began

Chinese officials say they have “seen the dawn” of an end to the  coronavirus  epidemic, after the country reported zero new cases of local infection for the first time since the outbreak began. Figures for Wednesday showed there were no new cases at all in Wuhan or the wider Hubei province, where the virus now known as  Covid-19  is believed to have first transmitted among humans. Authorities warned the risk was still not over, though, as 34 cases - all imported from abroad - were reported in other provinces. They included 21 in  Beijing  and nine in the southern manufacturing hub of Guangdong. There were also eight new deaths on Wednesday, according to the National Health Commission. bringing the country to a total of 80,928 cases and 3,245 deaths. Nonetheless, the lack of new local transmissions in Hubei was hailed as a major landmark in the global fight to contain the disease. “Today we have seen the dawn after so many days o...

Hairdresser creates a barrier between her clients by cutting arm and eye holes in an UMBRELLA, as she attempts to continue working during the coronavirus pandemic

A hairdresser who has continued working during the  coronavirus  pandemic has gone viral for wearing an umbrella to separate herself from clients. The Dutch stylist who works at Bella Rosa salon in Oss, north of Eindhoven, Holland, created a makeshift shield from an umbrella in a bizarre attempt to help stop the spread of COVID-19. She cut two holes for her arms to go through and cut a client's hair using disposable gloves. The hairdresser completed her homemade protective wear by adding holes to the umbrella to see out of.  Countries across Europe have shot down hair and beauty salons, and there is no evidence that the    The clip has gone viral across social media, racking up over 82,000 shares on Facebook alone. In one clip, she included the caption: 'This is not going well' Laughing can be heard in the background. She then had to cut a third hole to thread another customer's eyebrows. The woman carried out the treatment b...